Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Sunday Brunch with Amy: Easter Edition

This past weekend was Easter Sunday, and I think you all know what that means. Amy went out to brunch! For this special holiday meal, I ventured over to the Colonial Hotel in Gardner, MA with family. Chefs Frank Lambardo and Josh Boudreau put on a meal fit for royalty at this beautiful location in central Massachusetts.

Upon entering, guests were greeted with friendly staff, and beautiful spring decorations. The Easter Bunny was also present to greet guests and their children as they waited to be seated. He had a lovely corner that was decorated with bright spring colors, perfect for a beautiful family photo op. Out in the hallway with the check in, guests got a preview of what was to come with a beautiful display of desserts ans fruits along the back wall of the entrance lobby. There were cakes, pastries, fruits, and many other delicious goodies that stretched quite a ways down the hallway. 

We were seated in the Colonial Hotel’s event hall, and while the brunch did seem to be completely booked out, it was not uncomfortably crowded in any way. Once seated, our server explained to us the different stations, and pointed out the event drink card. The featured drinks ranged from traditional brunch beverages such as a Strawberry Grapefruit Mimosa, to the less traditional Spicy Apricot Margarita. After confirming that the Champaign being served was safe for me to consume, I opted for my favorite brunch drink, a traditional mimosa. After our drink orders were placed, it was time to head to the buffet style meal. 

When we reached the buffet, I informed one of the staff members of my dietary needs, and they hurried off to find Chef Frank Lambardo. Frank greeted me with a big friendly smile, and a firm handshake. He was more than happy to make sure that my dining experience was a safe and delicious one. He explained the different tables to me, and the ingredients that he used to create each dish. Chef Frank, like all great chefs, has a well informed knowledge of allergy friendly ingredients. I was very pleased at the number of dished that were naturally gluten free at the buffet. Chef Frank even gave me some options of a few items he had out back that he would be happy to prepare for me.

Each item in the buffet had its own warming station, and was separated by a length or one or two spaces in line, so the chances of any of the utensils being used in a different dish was extremely slim. I built myself a plate with a little bit of breakfast, and a little bit of lunch. Home fries, sausage, bacon and scrambled eggs made a great tasting from the breakfast table. The green beans in the lunch area were perfectly cooked, and a vibrant green. The carving station featured lamb and roast beef, of which I opted to try a piece of each. Even the gravy at the carving station was gluten free.
After the main course, the desert table was calling to me. I was thrilled to find that there was a gluten free flourless chocolate cake that was clearly labeled, and positioned on a raised part of the table so it would be safe from other cake crumbs. Chef Frank also offered a strawberry cake he had in the kitchen. Being the chocolate fiend that I am, I opted for the flourless chocolate cake. This cake was wonderfully rich, and thick like fudge. My only regret is that I was not able to eat more.

The meal, to say the least, was delicious. I am happy to report that there was no kind of gluten reaction to any part of the meal. I was extremely pleased with not only the quality of food at this brunch buffet, but also the kindness and professionalism of the entire staff. I would highly recommend The Colonial Hotel to all those who are looking for a delicious and allergy friendly meal.

If you would like to enjoy a delicious brunch at The Colonial Hotel in Gardner MA, they will be hosting a Mother's Day Brunch on Sunday May 12th, 2019. The menu is already posted on their website, and they are taking reservations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment